a new top-level domain
The objective of the .wine drive for an Internet top-level domain is to promote the wine industry worldwide via a domain name extension that connects website content with tradition of wine. In fact, two additional TLDs associated with wine are associated with the Projet dotVinum, too. These domains, .vin and .vino, will represent wine enthusiasts in the French- and Italian- and Spanish-speaking regions, respectively. An additional purpose of Projet dotVinum is to give participants in the wine industry the tools, information and web access they need to better serve the wine consumer community.
Sites belonging to the .wine domain would benefit from name recognition as well as being a place where all those who need information about wine--professionals, firms, experts, authors, amateurs, consumers, exports, teachers, journalists could gather. The name would assist these groups in the following ways:
- Wine exporters on the Internet and those who need to address wine enthusiasts worldwide
- Teachers and students in a field that even has a dedicated Masters degree program in Bordeaux and who need to communicate with other universities worldwide
- Consumers who seek specific wine reviews to compare wines before purchasing
- Wine growers who need to introduce prospective buyers to their products
- Websites that need to present their respective offers
- Authors and web users who would like to express their views on their blogs
- Computer programmers who are going to develop applications for the wine industry
- Sales websites and online services that would like to ease exchange and sales operations to sell wine
- Manufacturing firms, specialised winemakers and products related to the wine industry
The wine industry consists not only of consumers and manufacturers, but all individuals and companies related to wine's production, marketing and consumption. A top-level domain with either the .vin, .wine, or .vino domain defines websites with wine-related content as being directed at discerning individuals as well as originating from a respected source.